HomeNewsHow Do I Find My Original W-2?

How Do I Find My Original W-2?

W-2 forms are one of the most important tax documents that most workers receive each year. They show how much an employee earned and the taxes withheld during the previous year.

They also help workers file their taxes correctly every year. However, what do you do if you don’t have an original W-2?

Online Search Options

Most employers send W-2s electronically and if you’re using a reputable tax software package, you should be able to find yours online. H&R Block, for example, has a free W2 finder tool which can locate your form for you.

It’s not uncommon for people W2 finder to miss their original form or forget that they have one, so finding it in a timely manner is vital to ensure your return gets processed correctly. If you’re not using a tax software package, you might want to try calling your employer or the IRS for a copy of your W-2.

You may also be able to access your W-2 online if you live in a large city where employers and banks are more likely to participate in the electronic age. You may even be able to get a free one at your local library. For the best results, be sure to ask if they have a W-2 finder program in place.

Contacting Your Employer

During the year, employers are required to send employees W-2s, which provide information on wages paid and taxes withheld. They must mail them no later than January 31st so that you have enough time to file your tax return.

If you don’t receive your W-2 by the due date, you should contact your employer immediately to ask them for a copy. They may have a duplicate in their records or be able to give you access to download it electronically.

It’s best to get your original W-2 as early as possible, but you can always try filing for an extension if it’s still too late. You should also check the junk or spam folder in your email to ensure that you’re not missing any W-2s.

Finally, you can also call the IRS at 800-TAX-1040 to request a copy of your W-2. They will need your name, address, Social Security number and dates of employment. They will then verify the wage and income information to make sure it’s accurate.

Contacting the IRS

W-2s are one of the most important forms that employers send to employees each year. They help you and the IRS figure out how much you earned last year and how much taxes were withheld from your pay.

You should have a copy of your original W-2 before you begin filing your tax return. If you don’t have your original W-2, it may affect the way the IRS determines how much money you owe and when they’ll issue your refund.

The first step is to contact your employer and ask them for the form. Then allow them a reasonable amount of time to respond to your request and to resend it or to issue it.

The IRS can also provide you with a copy of your W-2 by mail or by email. The agency will have your form from the previous year available to you after the April 15 filing deadline.

Contacting the Payroll Department

If you’re a tax payer, you may have received a form W-2 in the mail from your employer. However, that form might be lost or discarded due to a mail snafu.

You can contact your employer’s payroll department to request a replacement W-2. It’s a good idea to do this as soon as possible, so you don’t miss the filing deadline.

It’s also a good idea to contact the IRS and ask them to help you re-create your missing W-2. The IRS offers a form, Form 4852, that allows you to re-create your missing W-2.


Payroll is a vital part of any organization that must ensure employees receive their wages and deductions on time and accurately. It’s also a major factor in employee morale, and when it’s done right, it helps create a great working environment. It’s a partnership between the human resources and finance departments that must be carefully maintained to keep everyone happy.

explore more